ATAF strives to build efficient and effective tax administrations in Africa to become the leader on African tax matters, enhance economic development and improve the living standards of the people of Africa.
ATAF serves as an African network that aims at improving tax systems in Africa through exchanges, knowledge dissemination, capacity development and active contribution to the regional and global tax agenda. Improved tax systems will increase accountability of the State to its citizens, enhance domestic resource mobilisation and thereby foster inclusive economic growth.
In implementing its Mission, ATAF shall:
- Improve the capacity of African tax administrations to achieve their revenue objectives;
- Advance the role of taxation in African governance and state building;
- Produce and disseminate knowledge on tax matters to inform policy and legislation formulation, foster transparency and accountability and improve revenue collection;
- Provide a voice for African countries on regional and global platforms and influence the international tax debate; and
- Develop and support partnerships between African countries and development partners.
ATAF adheres to the following values:
- Dedication towards consolidating and strengthening stakeholder relations in order to advance African tax reform;
- Integrity by promoting accountability and transparency through adequate and effective systems of internal controls, risk management and good financial governance;
- Equity extended to all members to access high-quality learning resources and opportunities;
- Mutual respect in contributing towards a better Africa through a better understanding of the various tax policies and reforms;
- Courtesy afforded to all members to ensure that they jointly represent African interests internationally in promoting that the continent speaks with one voice on tax issues; and
- Loyalty to all members and development partners to continuously sustain the development; and
- Diversity and inclusiveness by ensuring equity, mutual respect and courtesy when undertaking our mandate.
Objectives of the African Tax Administration Forum (ATAF)
The following strategic objectives have been defined for 2013 – 2015:
- Establishing a well-functioning international organisation;
- Building capable African tax administrations that develop, share and implement best practices;
- Becoming the African voice on tax issues to inform and influence the global dialogue;
- Fostering sustainable partnerships with stakeholders; and
- Improving good governance and accountability between state and citizens.